Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Let Love and Friendship Reign

It's 11:05 p.m. Ireland time (which makes it 6:05 pm USA Eastern time), and I'm just sitting here catching up on journals and figured I'd write the one for today before I go to bed, as we're getting up early tomorrow morning to head to the Aran Islands.

Today Sabrena and I got to sleep in an extra hour, but seeing as how we only got 6 hours of sleep, that didn't seem to help too much. After breakfast we caught a coach with the rest of our group out to Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), where we were having our 2nd institutional visit today. Once we found our way, we were greeted by a tiny little Irishman who heads teaching and learning at GMIT (which oversees student services), who would be our host for the day. He immediately took us on a tour of the campus, which was larger than I expected it to be, and, being the summer months, was under much renovation. The first thing we got to see was a fantastic view from the deck off of the president's conference room, where we were meeting for the day. This deck overlooked student housing which resting along the coast - absolutely breathtaking. We then continued around the newest building (which we were in), including a beautiful new library that had some very interesting aspects to it. First off, it's shaped like a ship, and design so natural light can enter through large glass pans in the ceiling and through smaller "portals" in the walls. It is framed with beams made of iodized copper, which absorb the heat from the sunlight and transfers it to a heating system which converts the energy to heat/cool the building - very modern. We also visited a new IT center where we were told of the option for students to gain ECDL (European Computer Driver's License) certification, which allows the student to be recognized throughout the EU for computer literacy. I happened to think this was fantastic. Not only do the students get the training, but it is actually recognized ... how often do people put "Proficient in Microsoft Office" on their resume when in fact they really aren't in the U.S.? And ... who really cares?

After the tour we returned to the conference room where our host gave a fantastic presentation on the history and evolution of the IoT (Institute of Technology) system in Ireland before presenting on GMIT itself. Fun facts I learned today:

1. The IoT system was originally funded by the World Bank.
2. Ireland has grown drastically in recent years, and while none of them are Irish companies, 13 of the world's top 15 pharmaceutical companies, 15 of the world's top 25 medical device companies, and 6 of the world's top 10 ICT companies have footing in Ireland.
3. The Bologna Process unified education in the EU, setting a common understanding of education "levels," allowing students in the EU to easily transfer between institutions.
4. Despite being part of the EU, Ireland's biggest trading partner is the U.S. and it's 2nd biggest is China ... neither of which are part of the EU. This is causing recent issues for Ireland with the weakening of U.S. and Chinese currencies against the euro.
5. There is a booming software industry in Ireland, but Irish students won't go into computing sciences because of the impression that math and computing course are hard, and for fear of another dot com bust. However, American students are snapping up these jobs like crazy in Ireland.
6. GMIT-Letterfrack is known worldwide for it's degree in furniture design.

While it took Sabrena and I a little bit of effort to be able to actually talk to him (which is a long story in itself), talking with Patty, the President of GMIT's Students' Union, was most valuable today (and I have to say pretty enjoyable - he is sweet, smart, and attractive ... with that great Irish accent!). Like the student at NUIG, Patty has finished his degree and is actually on his 2nd full term with GMIT (he was vice president last year - also a full-time position). It was nice to be able to compare and contrast his role with that of the student we had spoken with at NUIG. Later he and his VP were also able to better explain to us the role of the Leaving Certificate and the CAO in Irish higher education, which I find incredibly interesting. To put it in simplest terms (so that I don't take this whole posting on this one topic), Irish students are basically assigned institutions and majors for 3rd level (college) education based on a single score on their Leaving Certificate, an exam (which can best be compared to the SAT or ACT, but contains 6 subjects) required to pass 2nd level education (high school). Students apply for and rank their preferences for higher education through the CAO (Central Applications Office), which assigns them pretty much based on their score and a lottery system. You can only begin to imagine the issues this system can cause for students!

After our visit at GMIT, we all returned to the hotel where Sabrena and I changed clothes (SOC '06 ... I sported our shirt today!) and ventured out into the city again so that I could buy my Claddagh ring. After looking at all the options, I purchased a silver Original Claddagh ring from Dillon's, as they are the only producer recognized by Ireland, and therefore my ring bears the official stamp of Ireland - pretty sweet! I put it away for safe keeping for now so that I don't lose it at the Aran Islands tomorrow, but I may just have to pull it out and see if it helps me win the heart of some cute Irishman! :-) (Bec and Leanne - I haven't found my Denny yet ... but, Sabrena and I are on the lookout for cute Irish farmers so we can stay here ... we'll let you know how it goes). I also have the history of the Claddagh ring, including what it represents. Though it is too long to type out the whole thing, the Claddagh ring originated as an ideal wedding ring, though now is also used as a friendship ring and/or promise ring, as it contains two hands holding a heart which wears a crown - the hands are for friendship, the heart is for love, and loyalty is show with a crown up above. Most people recognize the ring by the distinct way in which it is worn - with the heart turned away from the person on the right hand if she/he is single, with the heart turned toward the person on the right hand if she/he is taken, with the heart turned away from the person on the left hand if she/he is engaged, and with the heart turned toward the person on the left hand if she/he is married. (Perhaps I'll find someone to turn my around soon ... haha.) I like the Claddagh ring for it's history, and what it represents - let love and friendship remain (the title of this post), because I believe that love of any type and true friendship can get you through anything.

After my purchase, Sabrena and I got some "blended coffee" ... which was more like a milkshake ... and sat out on Eyre Square chatting about a variety of things (particularly about tattoos) and watched a talent bicyclist do tricks and an extremely intoxicated man stumble along the sidewalk (ah the variety of sights in Galway). We then headed back for a group chat with the rest of the students and our professors before heading off to dinner. Tonight was egg salad (I gave it a shot, but didn't like it), lasagna (very good!) and chips (which are served with EVERYTHING ... you'd think there was never a potato famine) and huge iced brownies and ice cream for desert (Jenn, Mandie, Dad, and Clint - you would have loved it!). I then headed back here ... where I am writing this journal.

I still absolutely love this city. I love it's vibrancy. There are always people around, and it is so lively. Being quite artistic myself, I appreciate the amount of free expression that is welcomed and celebrated here. It makes me want to live in a city where that is appreciated - where I can sit out on the "square" surrounded by those of the city and admire and appreciate what they each create. The people here are amazingly kind and helpful too - customer service at its finest. They anticipate your needs and ask if they can help you often before you realize you even need it. Everyone is so knowledgeable about the history of their city and their country (and school) too, and in a way, as I discussed with Sabrena today, puts our patriotism to shame. I mean, admittedly while I have taken my history of higher education course, I wouldn't dare attempt to give a presentation on not only my institution but also the history of the higher education system and my country in general in such a manner as those have done for us here the last few days. History, tradition, innovation, individualism, and collectivism are all somehow coinciding and being celebrated here every day. My only frustration has been my inability to find certain things - like a grocery store, or a liquor store (so we can get Sabrena some O'Keefe beer for her family) - and the fact that the value of a dollar is horrible here (ah money ... always an issue for everyone it seems). Shops aren't set up here like they are in the U.S. While we all spoke today about how we all feel like we already know our way around the city and are excited to move on to new areas of Ireland soon, I'm sure we have only scratched the surface of what Galway has to offer. This city has somehow progressed with the times while still being able to showcase their history and honor their tradition - it's hard to explain, you just have to see it and be able to feel it. It makes me definitely realize what I (and other Americans) take for granted.

Reflecting on today, I also realized something else which has been on my mind while I've been here. In student affairs, we are always talking about diversity, but always struggling with how it is defined and what to do about it. In speaking of diversity, we all like to think we have no discrimination or prejudice, but let's face it, we all do, purposely or not ... we come from a society that stereotypes; it is ingrained in us. The last few days I have found myself looking at the people around me and trying to categorize them, as if I'm trying to make sense of them all or to assign certain characteristics to Irish people as I learn here. However, I've found I cannot. As soon as I think I see something and think to myself, "Wow, Irish people must ..." something else turns that assumption around, and I am forced to reflect on the fact that oftentimes people are more different within groups than they are between groups. The Irish, like everyone else, are just people - all unique - no categories necessary. (However, despite what colleagues told me about when they were here, I have seen quite a lot of red-headed people ... Spennett, you'd fit right in! :-))

No comments: